Saturday, April 26, 2014

Love Where You Live

When I came to this mountain town in Northern Nevada to live, I was part miserable, part steeped in regret.  I would plaintively lament: "What have I done and where did I end up"?  I've retold this story many times, but I clearly remember thinking what is there to do in a mountain town of 300,000.  I mean, where's the nightlife and the shopping?  Having grown up in cosmopolitan Manila, my only options for recreation then were clubbing and midnight madness shopping at its abundance of malls.  I could not handle big wide open spaces.

But I suppose our human survival instincts have taught us to fight or flight.  Either love your situation or get the heck out.

I fought.

And here are just a few of the reasons why I stayed and loving it, truth be told.  All of these photos were shot today after a late snowstorm dumped over a foot of fresh snow.

 And yes, I splurged on a 29er also.  I took this capricious beauty home today and you wouldn't believe my giddiness rolling over curbs and sidewalks (for now).  I can't wait to take it out on the trail!  But we're skiing tomorrow, so she's staying clean.  For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment