Sunday, September 15, 2013

Faking Your Way through Unripe Peaches

One of the many wonderful tastes of summer is a plump, juicy, sweet peach.  Its season is in full unadulterated swing right now and you can buy them everywhere (or wait for the surplus from co-workers who have peach trees in their backyard).  I bought a bag of them from Whole Foods the other day and little impatient me, I sliced each single one up only realizing later that they were not quite ready yet.

Solution?  Bake 'em.

You just need a mixture of a little bit of honey, pure vanilla extract, olive oil, and some thyme.  I actually grow thyme in my garden and I must say it's my most unused herb so I was stoked to be putting it to delicious use.

Mix this concoction together and smear it all over the peaches, turning a couple of times to make sure the syrup goes everywhere.  I marinated them overnight in a covered baking pan and chucked them in the oven at 400 degrees for maybe 30 minutes (or until soft).


I tried grilling them, but my inexperience with a grill trumped my persistence.  So tonight, I thought I'd do a take two, but this time, by just chucking them in the oven, the cowardly way.

This was really simple and I'm very happy with how it turned out.  It's delish and it's the most perfect way to save my faux pas of cut unripe peaches.

You can eat them warm as is and they are gorgeous. I could not even tell they were not quite ripe as they were soft and plump.


You can also serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


Tomorrow, I will eat it with unsweetened Greek yogurt for breakfast.  Something to look forward to on a Monday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment