Sunday, May 12, 2013

I Got it from My Mama

Traveling and garden duty have taken me away from finishing some indoor projects for many weeks.  And I must admit, cutting fabric is my least favorite of sewing tasks.  It involves so much precision, which equates to attention and time.  I finally gave both of those to this stalled project finally and it's hard to believe that you can sew custom curtains in under two hours.  Had I known, I should have started it sooner!
And here it is, custom drapes that I sewed myself!  I had to lay both panels on the floor so I could make sure the prints lined up right.  It is a challenge sometimes to find modern print on long drapes that exactly match your specific color palette and that is also affordable.  

For this project, I ordered three yards of this 54" width cheery home fabric from Fabric.com.  It cost only about $8/yard so in total, these 100" L custom drapes only cost me $24 (and two hours of my Saturday).  Compare that to $40 per panel plus a delivery lead time.  That's 70% cheaper.  And in my prejudiced opinion, a lot prettier.  Isn't that rad?


And since today is Mother's Day, I'd like to offer a small tribute to the woman who taught me how to use a sewing machine - my Mother!  We are reflections of the people who raised us and I am grateful to have the influence of a woman who taught me important life skills.  Growing up, I watched my mother cook things from scratch.  Delicious things.  She always hosted great parties.  But also, she taught me how to be compassionate and strong.  Overall, she gave me everything I needed to be the person I am today.


Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  I am eternally grateful.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment