Sunday, September 30, 2012

Rude Awaking: Arnhem

Arnhem, to an unassuming tourist, is filled with everything Dutch, from the architecture to outdoor cafes set on cobblestone, and yes, "coffee shops" (although I just saw one, small-scale compared to the numbers found in Amsterdam).  It was another bright, sunny day, and although a little bit cold, I got happy just being a shutterbug in this Dutch town.  





























I don't get this way too often, certainly not when I'm traveling.  But today might have been the rare first when I felt homesick.  I underestimated the language barrier and getting condescending stares from people (maybe because I'm brown - I'm not too sure) is getting old.  I still am enjoying the experience though and if anything, I AM learning about the world, which is one of the reasons why I travel to begin with.  I suppose now's the time to shed the naivete and see things for what they are.  

I must say I am looking forward to Belgium tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment