Saturday, August 11, 2012

Thoughts from a Suburban Farmer Chick


There are many things I don't like boasting about.  But if there is one thing I am unabashedly proud of, it's my tomatoes, peppers, basil, rosemary, lavender... okay you get the gist.

Backyard gardening takes a lot of hardwork. I can handle that. What I could not a grip on is the emotional investment I didn't know came with growing one's own food. Although I live in the 'burbs, I share real estate with bunnies, voles, gophers, squirrels, doves, pigeons, owls, and a whole gamut of wildlife I'm sure I don't know (and don't want to know) about.

I have had relative success with conquering nature with the most natural humane barriers that I could think of. I have hardware wire surrounding each biodegradable container and um.. yeah.. nets, over each one. And no pesticides here - I heavily rely on my friendly lizards to take care of the bugs.

After a couple of months struggling with the:
a. Rabbits
b. Birds
c. Tomato hornworm (singular... but could there be more of them?)

..  it was an astounding moment when Nature finally endowed us with beautiful caprese all picked from our garden five minutes before it kissed our palates.


This is why I still insist on growing a garden. This makes it a very fulfilling and worthwhile endeavor. Nothing beats popping a freshly picked cherry tomato in your mouth and experience it explode in your mouth with such intoxicating flavors.  And when the snapdragons, peppers and herbs that have been decimated a few months ago pre-wire fencing, it is a glorious moment when you see them make a comeback.

Until...

Despite the fencing and netting, I discovered this morning that there was a huge security breach in the last 12 hours costing me 2 almost-ripe huge heirloom tomatoes.  I was frighteningly close to tears when I discovered this and it took me a while to accept that when Nurture hits a wall, I really should just let Nature take over.

Because in the end, Nature still wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment