Monday, March 5, 2012

To Travel Again

Three months is apparently a long time to not have traveled by air. When did Southwest begin offering a wide array of snacks? The last time I flew Southwest, I got a measly pity bag of peanuts. This time, the flight attendant came out offering cheese crackers, pretzels, peanuts, OR wheat thins. TWICE. Isn't it amazing how they've deprived you of any "free" stuff on the plane for the longest time now, that free junk food is suddenly exhilarating?

On the upshot though, is how technology has made air travel a lot more efficient, quick, and comfortable. I am stuck in a middle seat, yet it feels like I have enough leg and elbow room. The travel time to Chicago from the west is only 3.5 hours, but I arrive an hour early due to some type of tailwind. (I really don't comprehend those things, but when a flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam was shortened by two hours, I was dazzled). It's rather amazing that one can get to Chicago in under three hours from where I live.

I will arrive in Chicago right at dinnertime, and my first order of business is a hot, steaming, authentic bowl of ramen. I don't know where yet, but I'm confident I'll run into an excellent Japanese noodle house.

Chicago, don't fail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment