Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Nights Like These...

I've logged about 8 hours of dancing this week and it's only Wednesday. I feel like a fanatic training for the marathon, but what can I do? It's a passion. It's karma that needs to be lived out. It's golden shadow that needs to be acknowledged to release it.

I stepped out of work tonight and it was a little startling to see how dark it has gotten at 5:30. I suppose it's time to get used to another change in season. I actually like it. It was cold. It was dark. The trees are almost bare now. The wood stoves in the old homes are burning. There were toasted maple leaves crunching under my boots as I make it to my car. I'm starting to love nights like this. There's a stillness about it. A kind of quiet.

I got home a little before midnight after a night of dancing. It had "snained" (snow-slash-rain) tonight and the ground was still wet. As I was climbing the hill to my suburban life, I saw the silhouette of a man jogging. It's 11:30 PM and it's 37 degrees out. Part of me was thinking about the incredulousness of it, but a bigger part of me was jealous. Here was a man who was doing exactly what he wanted. He probably asked himself - why the heck not? - and scrambled to put his running shoes on his way to the door before his mind talked him out of it. Have you done anything crazy lately? Have I?

Tomorrow is trash day and as was carting the trash down my driveway, I had the compulsion to look up at the night sky. It was gleaming with stars - it was just breathtaking. I wanted to grab a blanket and lie there in my wet driveway until I shivered and froze. How miniscule we are relative to the boundless night sky. How petty our silly little lives and aches and dramas are in this expansive, limitless universe...

I'm off tomorrow (cartwheels!!!!) and I'm so sleeping in. And then I'm going to climb me some rock walls.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment